소식 & 이벤트

The Devastation of Fire in Ethiopia
 작성자 : KAFHI
작성일 : 2015-03-03     조회 : 4,645  

by Staff Writer on FEBRUARY 4, 2015 in STORIES, WORLD POVERTY

If you have ever experienced the devastation of fire, you will be able to relate to the families who lost all their earthly possessions in the fires that swept through the Kersa Dako Kebele[1] on February 26, 2014.

Dealing with the consequences of fire requires a special sensitivity between responders and victims. Devising appropriate solutions or recommendations cannot be done without being sensitive to both the interests and needs of the individuals and the community at large.

Thus it was, after a thorough investigation and requests from the Digi District Administration and the East Wollega Zone Disaster and Risk Prevention and Preparedness Office that Food for the Hungry Ethiopia (FHE) responded to the critical needs of the Kersa Dako community along with the support of Korea American Food for the Hungry International (KAFHI).

To meet the immediate needs of the 27 households that were affected by the fire in Ethiopia, food grains, clothes, kitchen utensils and tools were distributed to the families. Continued support has been necessary because fire not only damages the physical property of families, but also because of the lingering psycho-social aftershocks following the devastation of such loss.

Mr.Tariku Wakuma in Ethiopia is one of FH's supported community members.
Mr.Tariku Wakuma is one of FH’s supported community members. He is 45 years old, with eight family members, among which two of them are being supported by the project as vulnerable children.
Mr. Tariku Wakuma, one of the recipients of the support given by FHE and KAFHI, was anxious to explain what the support of FH means to the community members. His family lost all of their belongings in the fire, leaving the children unable to attend school. There was no food or any hope of borrowing from neighbors because they had lost everything too. The community had suffered complete devastation. There seemed to be no other option but to wait for death from starvation.

According to Mr. Wakuma, all of that changed when FH got involved. The supplies and the clothes that FH provided made it possible for them to survive. Using the materials he was given, Mr. Wakuma constructed a grass-roofed house for his family, and all of his children were able to return to school.

Using the materials he was given by FH, Mr. Wakuma constructed a grass-roofed house for his family, after the fire had devastated everything, and all of his children were able to return to school.
Sustainable solutions must focus on improving the quality of life for those who survive by living off of the land. That means giving special attention to the needs of farmers and rural communities.

Inspired by the training from KFHI, the people of Kersa Dako have built fire breaks around their grain stores and houses. They cleared the dried residue from their surroundings so that wildfires will not be able to reach them so easily, making them confident that the destructive fires will not happen again. They are now aware of the fact that fires can spread quickly if the surrounding areas are not properly cleared and maintained.

Grateful and appreciative, Mr. Wakuma extended his thankfulness to all of the people from KAFHI and FH for demonstrating their compassion in responding so quickly and effectively. It is now with renewed confidence that he and his family, as well as the Kersa Dako community, can provide security and safety for their families without the thoughts of the devastation of fire.

에티오피아 화재

만약 여러분이 한 번이라도 화재를 경험해 보셨다면, 2014년 2월 26일 Karsa Dako Kebele를 휩쓸었던 화재 때문에 모든 것을 잃었던 사람들의 마음을 이해하실 수 있을 것입니다.  화재 후 현장을 처리할 때는 피해 당사자와 처리하는 사람들 사이에서 특별히 더 조심스럽게 해야 합니다. 적절한 방안이나 해결책은 개인과 공동체 모두를 염두에 두고 고안해야 하기 때문입니다.

그러므로 Digi 지방 행정부와 E. Wollega 지역 재난 방지 대책 부서의 도움 요청과 충분한 검토 후 국제기아대책 에티오피아본부(FHE)는 국제기아대책 미주한인본부(KAFHI)의 지원을 받아 Karsa Dako 공동체에 도움을 주기로 하였습니다. 화재로 고통을 받고 있던 27가정에 당장 도움이 시급했던 곡물, 옷 그리고 부엌 도구들을 배부하였습니다. 하지만 화재로 인해 재산 피해뿐만 아니라 충격으로 인한 정신적 피해까지도 속출하고 있어 지속적인 도움이 필요합니다.

Tariku Wakuma씨는 국제기아대책의 도움을 받고 있는 공동체 일원입니다. 45세인 Wakuma씨는 8명의 가족이 있으며, 그중 두 아이 또한 이 프로젝트의 도움을 받고 있습니다.

국제기아대책 에티오피아본부와 국제기아대책기구 미주한인본부의 도움을 받고 있는 Tariku Wakuma씨는 이 도움이 공동체에 어떠한 의미인지 빨리 나누고 싶어 했습니다.  Wakuma씨의 가족은 화재로 인해 모든 것을 잃었고, 아이들마저 더는 학교에 갈 수 없게 되었습니다.  먹을 음식도 없었고 이웃 또한 모든 것을 잃어버렸기에 그들에게 빌릴 처지도 아니었습니다. 공동체는 엄청난 재해로 모두가 고통을 받고 있었습니다.  하루하루 굶주리며 다가오는 죽음을 기다리는 것 외에는 다른 길이 없어 보였습니다.

Wakuma씨의 말에 따르면, 이 모든 것은 국제기아대책이 도움을 주며 바뀌었다고 했습니다. 구호물품으로 배부된 물건들과 옷은 그들이 생존해 나갈 수 있도록 도와주었습니다. 제공된 도구를 이용해 가족을 위해 풀로 지붕을 만들어 집을 지었고, Wakuma씨의 아이들은 모두 학교로 돌아갈 수 있게 되었습니다.

농산물로 살아가는 이들에게 지속 가능한 해결책은 그들의 삶의 질을 높여주는 것입니다. 그러기 위해서는 시골과 농장 지역에 더 많은 관심과 도움을 주어야 합니다. 국제기아대책 미주 한인본부에서 주최한 연수를 통해 Karsa Dako에 있는 사람들은 그들의 집과 곡물 가게 주위에 방화대를 설치하였습니다. 주위의 마른 잔여물들을 치워 연소물이 근처에 없도록 하였고 다시는 이런 파괴적인 화재가 발생하지 않을 것이라는 안심을 할 수 있게 되었습니다. 이제 그들은 근처가 적절히 관리되지 않으면 불이 얼마나 쉽게 번질 수 있는지를 알게 되었습니다.

Wakuma씨는 빠르고 효과적으로 대응해주었던 국제기아대책 미주한인본부와 에티오피아본부에 그의 감사함을 전했습니다.  그의 가족과 Karsa Dako 공동체 모두가 이제 아픈 기억에서 벗어나 안전한 삶에 대한 희망을 회복하였습니다.

(번역 : 후원자 김혜민)

TOTAL 186
Kingdom of God and Work Life
(by Gary Edmonds on FEBRUARY 1, 2016 in DISASTER RELIEF, FROM OUR LEADERSHIP, WORLD POVERTY) I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again. — John 3:3 For the last 30 years, I have made it a discipline to re…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2016-02-11  |  Hit: 4344
결심: 새해, 새로운 당신 / Resolutions: A New Year, …
(by Sara Chambers on JANUARY 8, 2016 in RESOURCES) 우리는 모두 결심합니다. 우리는 최대한 할 수 있는 것을 다 생각해내며 우리는 모두 결심합니다. 몇몇 결심들은 개인적이어서 마음속에 담아두지…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2016-01-28  |  Hit: 4782
2015년, 1,300만 명에게 일어난 삶의 변화 (13 Mill…
(by Gary Edmonds on DECEMBER 31, 2015 in FROM OUR LEADERSHIP, WORLD POVERTY) 요즘은 행복한 뉴스 머리기사를 찾기가 어렵습니다. 어떤 좋은 소식이 모든 슬픈 이야기들을 잊게 해주는 그런 뉴스 말입니다. …
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2016-01-25  |  Hit: 4322
KAFHI 명예 이사장 이원상 목사 소식
KAFHI 명예 이사장이신 이원상 목사님께서 지난 해 말 식도암 판정을 받은 후 여러 나라에서 수많은 기도의 동역자들이 함께 기도했습니다. 와싱톤 중앙 장로교회로부터 하나님께서 이원…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2016-01-13  |  Hit: 4505
Transformation Isn’t Just For Sponsored Children 단지 …
(by Bonnie Lewis on OCTOBER 21, 2015 in SPONSOR IMPACT, WORLD POVERTY) As a newlywed and fresh seminary student, I found myself grasping for my own ways to live out the Gospel. My husband and I both grew up in Christian homes and had served, inter…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2015-11-05  |  Hit: 4990
Who Run the World? Girls!
(by Gary Edmonds on OCTOBER 5, 2015 in FROM OUR LEADERSHIP, WORLD POVERTY) I’ve heard it proclaimed by a modern day influencer of culture, “Who run the world? GIRLS!” No, I do not claim to know the rest of Beyonce’s ballad. But I can sa…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2015-10-08  |  Hit: 5111
How Dirt Brings Hope and Ends Poverty
(by Mike Meyers on SEPTEMBER 30, 2015 in STORIES, WORLD POVERTY) We’ve all eaten a little dirt. How many times after my kids have dropped something on the floor have I said, “Five second rule!” We pick up the food, look at it,c and if it doe…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2015-10-01  |  Hit: 4899
Ending Extreme Poverty in Santa Barbara, Peru
(by Karen Randau on SEPTEMBER 14, 2015 in SPONSOR IMPACT, STORIES, WORLD POVERTY) When I tell friends that the goal of Food for the Hungry is to end extreme poverty, I sometimes get strange looks. “What do you mean, END poverty?” Is that even …
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2015-09-23  |  Hit: 5700
KAFHI 명예이사장 이원상 목사 소식
와싱톤중앙장로교회 원로목사이시며 SEED 선교회 국제대표, 국제기아대책 미주한인본부(KAFHI) 명예이사장이신 이원상 목사님께서 지난 2015년 8월 27일에 식도암 판정을 받으셨습니다. 목사님…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2015-09-01  |  Hit: 6129
시카고 퍼스펙티브스!
KAFHI에서 주관하는 퍼스펙티브스 훈련이 2015년 10월 12일(월) ~ 16일(금)까지 국제위클리프 정민영 선교사, OMF 전 인도네시아 손창남 선교사, 퍼스펙티브스 컨설턴트 조승현 목사를 모시고 시…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2015-08-20  |  Hit: 6740
The Value of a Name
by Mike Meyers on AUGUST 10, 2015 in STORIES, WORLD POVERTY I find the meaning behind names interesting and important, so it was no easy task to find the right name for each of my children when they were born. We broke out the whole Bible on my th…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2015-08-17  |  Hit: 4950
The Key to Sustainability
(by Gary Edmonds on AUGUST 3, 2015 in FROM OUR LEADERSHIP, WORLD POVERTY) In over thirty years of traveling around the world and learning about solutions to end poverty, the question that seems to be the most important one to ask is this: Are t…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2015-08-07  |  Hit: 4955
4 Reasons to Teach Your Child to Lead
by Karen Randau on JULY 23, 2015 in STORIES, WORLD POVERTY When my son was earning the rank of Eagle with Boy Scouts, he attended national youth leadership training three consecutive summers. While he enjoyed being at camp with other boys, he typi…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2015-07-30  |  Hit: 4671
Do Your Children Believe Anything Is Possible?
by Mike Meyers on JULY 22, 2015 in WORLD POVERTY If you’re anything like me, you tell your children “anything is possible.” Not only do I want my children to believe that, I want to be able to help them prove to themselves that it’s true. …
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2015-07-23  |  Hit: 5232
Top 3 Reasons to Continue Praying for Nepal
(by Josh Ayers on JULY 16, 2015 in DISASTER RELIEF, WORLD POVERTY) I recently returned from earthquake-torn Nepal with my usual assortment of “remembrances”: a hat (I collect traditional hats from countries I visit), a Nepali calendar (fascin…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2015-07-21  |  Hit: 5096
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Copyright © Korean American Food for the Hungry International. All Rights Reserved.    Admin