소식 & 이벤트

Why End Poverty?
 작성자 : KAFHI
작성일 : 2015-02-17     조회 : 5,045  

by Gary Edmonds on FEBRUARY 17, 2015 in FROM OUR LEADERSHIP

Seemingly insurmountable goals do not make for compelling missions. We are accustomed to getting things accomplished. We have tools that allow us to work on several things at once. We enjoy seeing progress towards our goals. We like to check off boxes. And we do NOT enjoy working on things that can’t be fixed. That poses a problem for us at Food for the Hungry (FH), doesn’t it?

The goal for FH is to end poverty. We are unashamedly devoted towards that objective. But here’s the deal: We know that our actions alone… mankind alone… can’t solve the issue of poverty. As Christians, we understand that God’s creation will not be made new until Christ returns. He alone is capable of bringing complete peace and justice on earth. But Jesus was very clear about how we as Christians should live our lives while we wait for his triumphant return.

Proverbs 31:8-9, “Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.”

Micah 6:8, “He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.”

I have wrestled with what a life pleasing to God looks like.  This has been my prayer realizing that the Lord has a claim on my whole life and being.  In the process of this quest, I have come to understand that each human being is created in the image and likeness of God with inestimable worth.  All have inherent dignity.  Poverty strips men and women, boys and girls of dignity and hope.  Thus in following Christ, we have an opportunity to restore dignity and hope as we push back  the darkness caused by extreme poverty.

Ultimately, Jesus proclaimed that the existence of poverty and injustice in the world is NOT okay. It should not be tolerated. And we cannot ignore it. He asked us to be agents of renewal. To be a part of His story of redemption and love and peace. FH takes that call to heart. We are devoted to making an impact in the lives of the most vulnerable so the His story will prevail.

That is why we work to end poverty.

Will you join us?

왜 가난을 해결해야 할까요?

우리는 겉으로 보기에 극복할 수 없어 보이는 목표들을 꺼리게 됩니다. 우리는 무언가를 성취하는 것에 익숙해져 있습니다. 우리는 한번에 여러 가지를 할 수 있는 수단과 방법이 있습니다. 우리는 목표가 진행되어 가는 것을 보며 즐거워합니다. 우리는 “해야 할 일 목록”을 점검하는 것을 좋아합니다. 그리고 우리는 해결 방안이 없는 것에 에너지를 쏟고 싶어 하지 않습니다. 하지만 이런 생각은 국제기아대책에 있는 우리에게 문제가 됩니다.

국제기아대책의 목표는 빈곤을 퇴치하는 일입니다. 우리는 뻔뻔스러울 정도로 이 목표를 위해 헌신하고 있습니다.  하지만 우리는 우리의 뜻만으로는, 사람의 생각만으로는 절대 이 가난을 해결할 수 없음을 압니다.  그리스도인으로서 우리는 예수님이 이 땅으로 다시 오시기 전까지 하나님의 창조물은 새롭게 될 수 없음을 알고 있습니다.  하나님만이 이 땅에 완전한 평화와 정의를 가져다주실 수 있습니다. 하지만 예수님께서는 우리가 영광스런 그 날, 예수님이 이 땅에 다시 오실 그 날을 기다리며 어떻게 살아가야 하는지 분명히 알려주셨습니다.

잠언 31:8-9 “너는 말 못하는 자와 모든 고독한 자의 송사를 위하여 입을 열지니라. 너는 입을 열어 공의로 재판하여 곤고한 자와 궁핍한 자를 신원할지니라” (개역개정)

미가 6:8 “사람아 주께서 선한 것이 무엇임을 네게 보이셨나니 여호와께서 네게 구하시는 것은 오직 정의를 행하며 인자를 사랑하며 겸손하게 네 하나님과 함께 행하는 것이 아니냐” (개역개정)

저는 하나님을 기쁘게 하는 삶이 어떤 모습일까 고민을 했습니다.  하나님이 나의 모든 삶 속에서 주권자이시며 나의 나 된 것이 하나님의 은혜임을 알게 되며 하나님을 기쁘게 하는 삶을 찾아가는 것이 저의 기도제목이 되었습니다. 이것을 기도하는 과정에서, 우리는 모두 하나님의 형상대로 빚어졌으며 각각 모두가 헤아릴 수 없을 만큼의 가치가 있는 사람들이라는 것을 알게 됐습니다.  모두는 하나님이 주신 존엄성을 가지고 있습니다. 하지만 가난은 남녀노소 모두의 존엄성과 희망을 빼앗아 가 버립니다. 그러므로 하나님을 좇는 우리는 이 존엄성과 희망을 회복시키고 극한 가난 때문에 생긴 어둠을 쫓아낼 기회가 있습니다.

궁극적으로 예수님은 이 세상에 존재하는 가난과 불평등이 있어서는 안된다고 선포하신 것입니다. 이것은 용납되어서는 안되며 우리는 모른 체 해서도 안됩니다. 예수님은 우리에게 부활의 통로가 되어 달라고 말씀하셨습니다.  예수님의 구원, 사랑 그리고 평화에 동참하기에 위에 국제기아대책은 그 부르심에 응답합니다. 우리는 예수님의 이 말씀이 이 땅에서 승리할 수 있도록 가장 연약한 삶들을 돕는 것에 전념하고 있습니다.

이것이 우리가 가난을 해결해야 하는 이유 입니다.

이 일에 함께 동참하시겠습니까?
(번역 : 후원자 김혜민)

TOTAL 186
Kingdom of God and Work Life
(by Gary Edmonds on FEBRUARY 1, 2016 in DISASTER RELIEF, FROM OUR LEADERSHIP, WORLD POVERTY) I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again. — John 3:3 For the last 30 years, I have made it a discipline to re…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2016-02-11  |  Hit: 4344
결심: 새해, 새로운 당신 / Resolutions: A New Year, …
(by Sara Chambers on JANUARY 8, 2016 in RESOURCES) 우리는 모두 결심합니다. 우리는 최대한 할 수 있는 것을 다 생각해내며 우리는 모두 결심합니다. 몇몇 결심들은 개인적이어서 마음속에 담아두지…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2016-01-28  |  Hit: 4781
2015년, 1,300만 명에게 일어난 삶의 변화 (13 Mill…
(by Gary Edmonds on DECEMBER 31, 2015 in FROM OUR LEADERSHIP, WORLD POVERTY) 요즘은 행복한 뉴스 머리기사를 찾기가 어렵습니다. 어떤 좋은 소식이 모든 슬픈 이야기들을 잊게 해주는 그런 뉴스 말입니다. …
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2016-01-25  |  Hit: 4320
KAFHI 명예 이사장 이원상 목사 소식
KAFHI 명예 이사장이신 이원상 목사님께서 지난 해 말 식도암 판정을 받은 후 여러 나라에서 수많은 기도의 동역자들이 함께 기도했습니다. 와싱톤 중앙 장로교회로부터 하나님께서 이원…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2016-01-13  |  Hit: 4503
Transformation Isn’t Just For Sponsored Children 단지 …
(by Bonnie Lewis on OCTOBER 21, 2015 in SPONSOR IMPACT, WORLD POVERTY) As a newlywed and fresh seminary student, I found myself grasping for my own ways to live out the Gospel. My husband and I both grew up in Christian homes and had served, inter…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2015-11-05  |  Hit: 4987
Who Run the World? Girls!
(by Gary Edmonds on OCTOBER 5, 2015 in FROM OUR LEADERSHIP, WORLD POVERTY) I’ve heard it proclaimed by a modern day influencer of culture, “Who run the world? GIRLS!” No, I do not claim to know the rest of Beyonce’s ballad. But I can sa…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2015-10-08  |  Hit: 5110
How Dirt Brings Hope and Ends Poverty
(by Mike Meyers on SEPTEMBER 30, 2015 in STORIES, WORLD POVERTY) We’ve all eaten a little dirt. How many times after my kids have dropped something on the floor have I said, “Five second rule!” We pick up the food, look at it,c and if it doe…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2015-10-01  |  Hit: 4898
Ending Extreme Poverty in Santa Barbara, Peru
(by Karen Randau on SEPTEMBER 14, 2015 in SPONSOR IMPACT, STORIES, WORLD POVERTY) When I tell friends that the goal of Food for the Hungry is to end extreme poverty, I sometimes get strange looks. “What do you mean, END poverty?” Is that even …
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2015-09-23  |  Hit: 5700
KAFHI 명예이사장 이원상 목사 소식
와싱톤중앙장로교회 원로목사이시며 SEED 선교회 국제대표, 국제기아대책 미주한인본부(KAFHI) 명예이사장이신 이원상 목사님께서 지난 2015년 8월 27일에 식도암 판정을 받으셨습니다. 목사님…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2015-09-01  |  Hit: 6128
시카고 퍼스펙티브스!
KAFHI에서 주관하는 퍼스펙티브스 훈련이 2015년 10월 12일(월) ~ 16일(금)까지 국제위클리프 정민영 선교사, OMF 전 인도네시아 손창남 선교사, 퍼스펙티브스 컨설턴트 조승현 목사를 모시고 시…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2015-08-20  |  Hit: 6740
The Value of a Name
by Mike Meyers on AUGUST 10, 2015 in STORIES, WORLD POVERTY I find the meaning behind names interesting and important, so it was no easy task to find the right name for each of my children when they were born. We broke out the whole Bible on my th…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2015-08-17  |  Hit: 4949
The Key to Sustainability
(by Gary Edmonds on AUGUST 3, 2015 in FROM OUR LEADERSHIP, WORLD POVERTY) In over thirty years of traveling around the world and learning about solutions to end poverty, the question that seems to be the most important one to ask is this: Are t…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2015-08-07  |  Hit: 4954
4 Reasons to Teach Your Child to Lead
by Karen Randau on JULY 23, 2015 in STORIES, WORLD POVERTY When my son was earning the rank of Eagle with Boy Scouts, he attended national youth leadership training three consecutive summers. While he enjoyed being at camp with other boys, he typi…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2015-07-30  |  Hit: 4669
Do Your Children Believe Anything Is Possible?
by Mike Meyers on JULY 22, 2015 in WORLD POVERTY If you’re anything like me, you tell your children “anything is possible.” Not only do I want my children to believe that, I want to be able to help them prove to themselves that it’s true. …
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2015-07-23  |  Hit: 5229
Top 3 Reasons to Continue Praying for Nepal
(by Josh Ayers on JULY 16, 2015 in DISASTER RELIEF, WORLD POVERTY) I recently returned from earthquake-torn Nepal with my usual assortment of “remembrances”: a hat (I collect traditional hats from countries I visit), a Nepali calendar (fascin…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2015-07-21  |  Hit: 5096
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Copyright © Korean American Food for the Hungry International. All Rights Reserved.    Admin