소식 & 이벤트

Grace
 작성자 : KAFHI
작성일 : 2014-09-25     조회 : 5,224  

(by Marty Martin on SEPTEMBER 22, 2014 in FROM OUR LEADERSHIP)

Let me tell a story of grace. My father grew up on a 600-acre family estate in Virginia. The land was granted by the English Earl of Dunmore in the mid-1700s. “Back Creek” is situated in the Blue Ridge Mountains, some of the most beautiful country in the world.

My first ancestor there built a Presbyterian Church which his bride’s family insisted upon before she could marry him. Behind the church, many of my relatives are buried. Being there feels like being “surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses,” as Hebrews 12:1 describes our present lives: a visible part of a vast cloud of those who have gone before us in the faith.

Ours was a slave-owning family. Though my great grandfather and his three brothers were Presbyterian ministers, owning slaves was not considered inconsistent with Scripture; in fact, it was believed to be justified by Scripture. Visiting Back Creek today, you can see the blood-stained floor of the slave quarters which were used by the Union Army as a field hospital during the Civil War.

How could good, decent people participate in one of history’s great travesties of justice? Part of the answer always will be shrouded in mystery. Part of the answer is simple and underscores a danger applicable to many well-to-do Christians, you and me included.

What is the danger?

The Bible is a sacred collection written “from the bottom up,” but among wealthier Christians is usually read “from the top down.” What do I mean? The early Christians were at the very bottom of the social heap. My ancestors were at the top. When they read Colossians 3:22: “Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it … with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord …” they read it as divine justification for slavery.

Far from intending divine justification for slavery, when Paul wrote this letter he simply took for granted the social structure of his day and wrote directions for those on top (masters and husbands) and survival instructions for those at the bottom: not only slaves, but women and children as well because slavery was not the only problematic cultural reality of Paul’s day (see Ephesians 5:22-6:9, Colossians 3:18-4:1, etc.).

Beating of wives and children was as commonplace then as it is in many “less developed” cultures where Food for the Hungry (FH) works today. Entering a community, we start with asking questions like: “Is it okay for a husband to beat his wife and children?” Both men and women, Christians and non-Christians, typically answer “yes.” If we can’t “walk with” these communities over time to change the answer to a resounding “no,” we have failed.

Grace Personified

When my father was dying in a hospital in the South, incontinent and in pain, one of his nurses was a committed African American Christian named Willie Mae. She and my father got on like brother and sister. She would tease and prod him whenever he started feeling sorry for himself. After a while she was assigned to shifts in a different wing of the hospital. When her “graveyard shift” was over she would come to my father’s room, off the clock, and clean and change him. When I marveled at this and asked my father about her he said, “I’ve known her for a thousand years.”

Thank God so many Americans gave their lives so Willie Mae could be free. Thank God Willie Mae’s freedom went far beyond political freedom. Hers was a freedom to forgive one whose heritage represented all that was worst in hers and not just to forgive, but to love. For us, she was grace personified.

Our desire is that FH be grace personified in every hurting place we work. Will you join us?

TOTAL 179
The Seen and Unseen World
Paul wrote in Ephesians 6: "Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers …
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-10-16  |  Hit: 5552
Filling the Food Gap in Ethiopia
by Kebede Lulie on OCTOBER 9, 2014 in STORIES, WORLD POVERTY Bugna district The late onset rainy season is about to cease. From a distance, all mountains and valleys look like they are covered with well-woven green and yellow carpets. It is b…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-10-09  |  Hit: 5678
Helping Without Hurting in Short-Term Missions
(by Wendy McMahan on OCTOBER 2, 2014 in CHURCH, WORLD POVERTY) On the day I met Steve Corbett, he warned me about mold. It was September 2001, shortly after I had been accepted into the Hunger Corps program of Food for the Hungry (FH). Steve ha…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-10-07  |  Hit: 5743
Humanitarian Crises…Looking Beyond the Grim Statistics
As an aid worker, I am often tempted to throw in the towel when I am faced with humanitarian situations that seem irreparable. When I visit communities and interact with hopelessness, suffering, pain, lost dreams as a result of war, disease, and mo…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-09-30  |  Hit: 5034
Witch doctors and the Gospel
(by Holly Martinez on SEPTEMBER 23, 2014 in SPONSOR IMPACT, STORIES, WORLD POVERTY) When you believe something for most of your life, it can be very hard to eventually realize it isn’t true. How do you reject the lifestyle you knew for so long…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-09-25  |  Hit: 5356
Grace
(by Marty Martin on SEPTEMBER 22, 2014 in FROM OUR LEADERSHIP) Let me tell a story of grace. My father grew up on a 600-acre family estate in Virginia. The land was granted by the English Earl of Dunmore in the mid-1700s. “Back Creek” is situa…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-09-25  |  Hit: 5225
One School Can Make a Difference
By staffwriter on August 29, 2014 in Stories, World Poverty In Kenya, Food for the Hungry (FH) worked to help build a school. While education helps a child’s future, it does so much for them today as well. The Lakartinya School is making a…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-09-02  |  Hit: 5108
3 Lessons to Keep Children Growing
FH Health Promoter trains Leonie on how to cook nutritious food. Leonie and her children listen to the FH Health Promoter teach about prenatal care. Leonie’s children now wash their hands and are getting sick less often. By Renee Targos on A…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-08-27  |  Hit: 5503
Don’t Ignore the Sadness, Blessed are the Peacemakers
By David Curtis on August 14, 2014 in World Poverty "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” - Edmund Burke Let’s be honest, it has been a rough summer with lots of sadness. The airwa…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-08-21  |  Hit: 5687
Help a Child, Change the World
By Kathryn Szabo on August 15, 2014 in Sponsor Impact, Stories Sarah is no stranger to the child sponsorship program at Food for the Hungry (FH). An enthusiastic sponsor, she also works at FH in the child sponsorship department. Growing up, Sarah…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-08-21  |  Hit: 5491
The Social Gospel?
By Marty Martin on August 20, 2014 in From Our Leadership From the 1920s and 30s, the Fundamentalist-Modernist Controversy had a powerful and ongoing effect upon the American church. Many of the “fundamentalists” were highly educated, articul…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-08-21  |  Hit: 5123
발리섬 김희명,효숙 선교사님 소식
2014 전반기 발리섬 산 중 마을에서 드리는 사역편지 주 안에 평강을 문안드리오며, 주님의 아동양육 선교사역지 발리섬 산 중 마을에서 동역자 여러분에게 2014년도 전반기 소식을 올리게 …
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-08-06  |  Hit: 5440
Love’s Law
By Marty Martin on July 24, 2014 in From Our Leadership In late 2006, I came back from two years in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) totally convinced that the rule of law is one of the greatest gifts any nation can have. Congo is a “…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-08-06  |  Hit: 4900
Best Known Verse in the Bible
Photo by David Hepworth (By Marty Martin on June 19, 2014 in From Our Leadership) John 3:16 is probably the best known verse in the Bible. When TV camera crews pan the crowds at pro football games, we often see placards referring to it. …
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-06-25  |  Hit: 5498
케냐선교 기도편지
케냐 선교 동역자님들께! 그리스도에게 순간 순간의 삶을 드리며, 영적인 전쟁과 갈등속에서 그리스도로 인해 보장된 부활에 대한 소망과 확신을 가지고 믿음을 지키시는 케냐 선교 동…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-06-12  |  Hit: 7315
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Copyright © Korean American Food for the Hungry International. All Rights Reserved.    Admin