소식 & 이벤트

Help a Child, Change the World
 작성자 : KAFHI
작성일 : 2014-08-21     조회 : 5,491  

By Kathryn Szabo on August 15, 2014 in Sponsor Impact, Stories

Sarah is no stranger to the child sponsorship program at Food for the Hungry (FH). An enthusiastic sponsor, she also works at FH in the child sponsorship department. Growing up, Sarah’s family emphasized the importance of a vibrant relationship with Jesus and an education. Food for the Hungry has the same priorities.

“They (FH) teach my sponsored child (and every other sponsored child) about God’s love and provide an education,” says Sarah. “FH gives my sponsored child every tool he will need throughout the rest of his life, and I’m so honored to be a part of it.”

She and her husband chose to sponsor Ren, a little boy in the Philippines. Sarah’s family is Filipino, her parents moved to the United States to pursue better education and to start their own family. Sarah says she chose Ren because, “as a first generation Asian-American, I grew up listening to stories about my parents’ lives in the Philippines. They always told me about how fortunate I was to grow up in the United States because of the hardship and the poverty that so many Filipinos have to endure.”

Sarah is proud of her heritage and wants to contribute to the world in a meaningful way. However, for many people, it’s difficult to know how to make a difference, especially in a world with such overwhelming need.

Child sponsorship provides a way to take action. Sarah says, “As one person, I can’t make a whole lot of difference for the Philippines as a whole, but I can make a difference in Ren’s life.”

Sarah and her husband were drawn to sponsorship because Food for the Hungry joins community leaders to help revive hope in vulnerable areas of the world. Recently hit by numerous tsunamis, the Philippines is no exception.

After experiencing hardships, children need words of hope. Child sponsors sending words of encouragement in letters help children, like Ren, to feel that they have potential, are valued and loved.

Sarah also likes that she and Ren can share their cultures with each other. “Ren calls me Ate Sarah, which essentially translates to ‘older sister’ in Tagalog,” says Sarah. “I like to write him back using whatever Tagalog phrases I can come up with.”

Ren and Sarah’s correspondence attracted her mother and other family members’ attention, even inspiring a cousin to sponsor another child in the Philippines. Her time as a sponsor has brought her joy and impacted her life and Ren’s—and those of her family.

“It has been so rewarding for me to form this relationship with Ren and watch the Lord reach my whole family as well,” said Sarah.

Sarah and her husband have decided to sponsor another child, a little girl in Nicaragua. They are looking forward to learning about Nicaraguan life and culture through the eyes of their sponsored child.

Sarah’s story is inspiring. If you have felt the weight of all that is going on in the world, take heart. And take action. By sponsoring a child, you are helping to improve a child’s life.

You are also establishing a significant relationship that has the potential to inspire your own family and community. Like Sarah and Ren, the bond you can forge can bring joy, hope and a brighter future.

TOTAL 179
The Seen and Unseen World
Paul wrote in Ephesians 6: "Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers …
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-10-16  |  Hit: 5552
Filling the Food Gap in Ethiopia
by Kebede Lulie on OCTOBER 9, 2014 in STORIES, WORLD POVERTY Bugna district The late onset rainy season is about to cease. From a distance, all mountains and valleys look like they are covered with well-woven green and yellow carpets. It is b…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-10-09  |  Hit: 5679
Helping Without Hurting in Short-Term Missions
(by Wendy McMahan on OCTOBER 2, 2014 in CHURCH, WORLD POVERTY) On the day I met Steve Corbett, he warned me about mold. It was September 2001, shortly after I had been accepted into the Hunger Corps program of Food for the Hungry (FH). Steve ha…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-10-07  |  Hit: 5743
Humanitarian Crises…Looking Beyond the Grim Statistics
As an aid worker, I am often tempted to throw in the towel when I am faced with humanitarian situations that seem irreparable. When I visit communities and interact with hopelessness, suffering, pain, lost dreams as a result of war, disease, and mo…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-09-30  |  Hit: 5035
Witch doctors and the Gospel
(by Holly Martinez on SEPTEMBER 23, 2014 in SPONSOR IMPACT, STORIES, WORLD POVERTY) When you believe something for most of your life, it can be very hard to eventually realize it isn’t true. How do you reject the lifestyle you knew for so long…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-09-25  |  Hit: 5356
Grace
(by Marty Martin on SEPTEMBER 22, 2014 in FROM OUR LEADERSHIP) Let me tell a story of grace. My father grew up on a 600-acre family estate in Virginia. The land was granted by the English Earl of Dunmore in the mid-1700s. “Back Creek” is situa…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-09-25  |  Hit: 5225
One School Can Make a Difference
By staffwriter on August 29, 2014 in Stories, World Poverty In Kenya, Food for the Hungry (FH) worked to help build a school. While education helps a child’s future, it does so much for them today as well. The Lakartinya School is making a…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-09-02  |  Hit: 5109
3 Lessons to Keep Children Growing
FH Health Promoter trains Leonie on how to cook nutritious food. Leonie and her children listen to the FH Health Promoter teach about prenatal care. Leonie’s children now wash their hands and are getting sick less often. By Renee Targos on A…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-08-27  |  Hit: 5504
Don’t Ignore the Sadness, Blessed are the Peacemakers
By David Curtis on August 14, 2014 in World Poverty "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” - Edmund Burke Let’s be honest, it has been a rough summer with lots of sadness. The airwa…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-08-21  |  Hit: 5687
Help a Child, Change the World
By Kathryn Szabo on August 15, 2014 in Sponsor Impact, Stories Sarah is no stranger to the child sponsorship program at Food for the Hungry (FH). An enthusiastic sponsor, she also works at FH in the child sponsorship department. Growing up, Sarah…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-08-21  |  Hit: 5492
The Social Gospel?
By Marty Martin on August 20, 2014 in From Our Leadership From the 1920s and 30s, the Fundamentalist-Modernist Controversy had a powerful and ongoing effect upon the American church. Many of the “fundamentalists” were highly educated, articul…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-08-21  |  Hit: 5123
발리섬 김희명,효숙 선교사님 소식
2014 전반기 발리섬 산 중 마을에서 드리는 사역편지 주 안에 평강을 문안드리오며, 주님의 아동양육 선교사역지 발리섬 산 중 마을에서 동역자 여러분에게 2014년도 전반기 소식을 올리게 …
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-08-06  |  Hit: 5441
Love’s Law
By Marty Martin on July 24, 2014 in From Our Leadership In late 2006, I came back from two years in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) totally convinced that the rule of law is one of the greatest gifts any nation can have. Congo is a “…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-08-06  |  Hit: 4900
Best Known Verse in the Bible
Photo by David Hepworth (By Marty Martin on June 19, 2014 in From Our Leadership) John 3:16 is probably the best known verse in the Bible. When TV camera crews pan the crowds at pro football games, we often see placards referring to it. …
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-06-25  |  Hit: 5498
케냐선교 기도편지
케냐 선교 동역자님들께! 그리스도에게 순간 순간의 삶을 드리며, 영적인 전쟁과 갈등속에서 그리스도로 인해 보장된 부활에 대한 소망과 확신을 가지고 믿음을 지키시는 케냐 선교 동…
Name: KAFHI  |  Date: 2014-06-12  |  Hit: 7316
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Copyright © Korean American Food for the Hungry International. All Rights Reserved.    Admin